St Mary’s has a strong focus on building the leadership capacity of our students. Students in all years are encouraged to communicate ideas and opinions, collaborate and problem solve in order to influence change.
We actively encourage student voice. Our Year 6 leadership groups allow for a program and platform for students to plan, lead and thrive in their areas of interest and passion. We offer diverse and engaging leadership opportunities, specifically around sustainability, peer leadership, public speaking and social justice initiatives. Our leaders are offered many learning and leadership opportunities inclusive of Colliban Water, Resource smart facilitators, HUB leadership days and PGL and Urban Camp.
Our Year 6 leadership groups are founded on our Graduate Outcomes, and students have the opportunity to participate in a diverse range of opportunities, events and experiences.
Such initiatives include;
- Courage: Student Representative Council (SRC), assemblies, student voice surveys
- Inclusive: FIRE Carriers (Friends Igniting Reconciliation through Education)
- Respect: Inclusive of Environmental & Sustainable initatives
- Celebrate: Technology and School Celebration & Promotion
- Serve: Catholic Identity, Caritas and fundraising for those less fortunate
- Achieve: Teaching & Learning, Peer tutoring and buddies.
Our students are also provided with the chance to engage with the broader community through a multiple events; Clean Up Australia Day, Caritas K’s, ANZAC Day and the Lions Club Public Speaking events. Students play active leadership roles during open days and tours for new families visiting the school. Students of all year levels are encouraged to present at Assemblies and Whole School Masses.
All students at St Mary’s are encouraged to grow in confidence, show initiative, model high expectations and share their interests and passions with others as leaders of our school and aspiring leaders within our community.