Our approach to learning and teaching at St Mary’s supports individual development in a safe and supportive environment.
Educators employ evidence-based, best practice informed by assessment, data and student voice. Students develop and progress differently, and we aim to ensure that programs are individualised and differentiated so that every student experiences success. Students are encouraged to become confident and independent learners, empowered to learn and welcome feedback and challenge.
St Mary’s Curriculum is aligned with the Victorian Curriculum and supports planning and assessment. The curriculum is a common set of knowledge and skills students require for lifelong learning. Our aim is for all students to be active and informed members of the community.
Our core curriculum includes;
- English: Reading and Viewing, Writing and Speaking and Listening
- Investigations: Science, History, Geography, Civics and Citizenship and Economics and Business
- Religious Education
- Physical Education
- Arts: Performing Arts, Visual Arts
- Languages: Indonesian
- Technologies: Design and Digital
- Capabilities: Personal and Social Learning, Critical and Creative Thinking, Ethical Capability and Intercultural Understanding.
Our Educational Beliefs
Our Learning Community believes;
- Learning best occurs in a happy and safe environment
- All moments are teachable moments
- Mistakes and a growth mindset are essential to the learning journey
- Learning occurs through engaging and meaningful experiences
- All students are included and have access to all learning experiences
- Learning is a rich, real and relevant experience
- All individuals learn and progress differently
- Parental involvement in their children’s learning is vital
- Assessment and feedback ensure growth and accountability
- Learning is enhanced in a team and collaborative approach.
Our Educational Aims
At St Mary’s, we aim to;
- Encourage personal responsibility for learning and develop independence
- Create a challenging, open and engaging learning environment
- Promote positive dispositions and attitudes through the learning experience
- Encourage deep and rigorous thinking about life and learning
- Use assessment to plan and target individual learning
- Listen and learn with our students to best meet their needs, respect backgrounds and nurture interests
- Live and learn respectfully within our school community
- Engage students in a variety of contemporary learning approaches and resources in readiness for their future.