St Mary's has a long and proud history in the Diocese of Sandhurst.
On 31 December 1887, the Bishop of Sandhurst, Most Reverend Dr Crane OBS blessed the corner stone of the new primary school in St Mary's Parish. This school was built on the site of the present hall. About 40 children were in attendance in 1889.
On 23 November 1919, the red brick St Mary's School was erected on its present site along Anstruther Street. It consisted of five classrooms and was blessed by the Bishop of Sandhurst, Most Reverend Dr McCarthy DD. Thus the school continued until 1963 when three additional classrooms and staffroom were added, adjoining the red brick building. These were ready for use at the beginning of the 1964 school year. At this particular time the primary school children from St Joseph's College were transferred to St Mary's and St Joseph's became a secondary school only.
Two more classrooms in cream brick were built in 1970, and a new classroom block and administration area of similar brick veneer was built in the 1975 Centenary Year of the Parish. It is interesting to note that up until 1963 the teaching staff at St Mary's consisted solely of four Brigidine Sisters, but by 1975 there were nine lay teachers and two nuns on the staff.
The refurbishment (1996) of the whole school has provided us with facilities to be proud of. In the year 2000, the adjoining building, the Wesley Church was purchased and converted to classroom areas, accommodating four classes.
Additional enrolments in 2004 required the addition of a relocatable classroom to be added to the existing school buildings.
A staff of approximately 27 lay people is responsible for the operation of St. Mary's.
After many years of planning and following the sale of the Anstruther St site, a new school was constructed for St Mary's during 2008. At the beginning of the 2009 school year, St Mary's was relocated to Bridlington Ave in Echuca West.
The history of St Mary's has begun a new chapter.